Home About Browse Search
Svenska


Global analysis of the slope of forest land

Lundbäck, Mikael and Persson, Henrik and Häggström, Carola and Nordfjell, Tomas (2021). Global analysis of the slope of forest land. . 94 , 54–69
[Research article]

[img] PDF
1MB

Abstract

Forests of the world constitute one-third of the total land area and are critical for e.g. carbon balance, biodiversity, water supply and as source for bio-based products. Although the terrain within forest land has a great impact on accessibility, there is a lack of knowledge about the distribution of its variation in slope. The aim was to address that knowledge gap and create a globally consistent dataset of the distribution and area of forest land within different slope classes. A Geographic Information System (GIS) analysis was performed using the open-source QGIS, GDAL and R software. The core of the analysis was a digital elevation model and a forest cover mask, both with a final resolution of 90 m. The total forest area according to the forest mask was 4.15 billion hectares whereof 82 per cent was on slope < 15°. The remaining 18 per cent was distributed over the following slope classes, with 6 per cent on a 15–20° slope, 8 per cent on a 20–30° slope and 4 per cent on a slope > 30°. Out of the major forestry countries, China had the largest proportion of forest steeper than 15° followed by Chile and India. A sensitivity analysis with 20 m resolution resulted in increased steep areas by 1 per cent point in flat Sweden and by 11 per cent points in steep Austria. In addition to country-specific and aggregated results of slope distribution and forest area, a global raster dataset is also made freely available to cover user-specific areas that are not necessarily demarcated by country borders. Apart from predicting the regional possibilities for different harvesting equipment, which was the original idea behind this study, the results can be used to relate geographical forest variables to slope. The results could also be used in strategic forest fire fighting and large-scale planning of forest conservation and management.

Authors/Creators:Lundbäck, Mikael and Persson, Henrik and Häggström, Carola and Nordfjell, Tomas
Title:Global analysis of the slope of forest land
Year of publishing :2021
Volume:94
Page range:54–69
Number of Pages:16
Language:English
Publication Type:Research article
Article category:Scientific peer reviewed
Version:Published version
Copyright:Creative Commons: Attribution 4.0
Full Text Status:Public
Subjects:(A) Swedish standard research categories 2011 > 4 Agricultural Sciences > 401 Agricultural, Forestry and Fisheries > Forest Science
URN:NBN:urn:nbn:se:slu:epsilon-p-108794
Permanent URL:
http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:slu:epsilon-p-108794
Additional ID:
Type of IDID
DOI10.1093/forestry/cpaa021
ID Code:21739
Faculty:S - Faculty of Forest Sciences
Department:(S) > Department of Forest Biomaterials and Technology
(S) > Dept. of Forest Resource Management
(NL, NJ) > Dept. of Forest Resource Management
Deposited By: SLUpub Connector
Deposited On:26 Jan 2021 08:43
Metadata Last Modified:26 Jan 2021 08:51

Repository Staff Only: item control page

Downloads

Downloads per year (since September 2012)

View more statistics

Downloads
Hits